Thursday night I stopped in Churchkey to kick off the pre-Savor beer events. I knew that Devils Backbone was scheduled to have some of their beer on tap, which never happens since they are a small brewpub south of Charlottesville, VA. What I found when I got there was a selection of beer beyond my wildest dreams...
I urge anyone that loves brewpubs to check out their website, it's what I imagine brewpub perfection to be:
The things that Shorts can do with beer is some of the more creative work I've ever seen. But they aren't just screwing around to screw around, they obviously know what they are doing, because every beer by them that I tried lived up to the flavor profile it promised and was drinkable (which is not always the case when crazy ingredients are used).
Shorts had 30 beers on tap at the bar last night...30! I came for the Devils Backbone and had their amazing Danzig Porter and Azreal Belgian Blonde, but once I saw the types of beers Shorts created, I knew I had to stick around and sample a few.
I had small samples of:
Chocolate Wheat Beer - Solid porter
Carrot Cake Beer - tasted like creamy carrot cake
Bloody Beer - made with tomatoes and dill, really good
Agave IPA - as advertised and a great all around IPA
Soft Parade - made with every berry you could imagine and awesome
Key Lime Pie - really tart and tasted like pie
If I had more time energy and taste buds, I would have loved to sample all of their beers, but 6 out of 30 ain't bad.
In the end, I want to thank Churchkey for putting this together, a masterful job. It was an awesome crowd of beer geeks and brewers just sharing beer knowledge and trying new beer, which, in the end is what this is all about.
2 comments:
Key Lime Pie beer sounds awesome!
It was pretty delicious... The Agave IPA was probably my favorite & the carrot cake the one that tasted most like it's namesake.
Post a Comment