Beer really is better out there...
I know, there are a lot of great breweries and beers east of the Mississippi, but the consistent quality and innovation out on the left coast are simply overwhelming. Not too mention the numbers...
There are almost 100 breweries in Oregon, almost 100 in Washington, and over 200 in California. If Colorado is counted, there's another 100. No other state even comes close. Michigan and Pennsylvania are next with about 70 each.
Is beer selection a good enough reason to move across the country? Maybe. But probably not. So while I my dream of spending every night sipping fresh beer from Portlandia, I will settle for infrequent visits and the treasures that wait for me...
Behold! Three amazing brews I sampled on my last trip out west.
1. AleSmith's X - and Extra Pale Ale, very light, golden and easy drinking stuff for sure.
2. Deschutes' Hop Henge IPA - Their "experimental" IPA, a beautiful and bold double ipa of sorts. Incredible beer, blew my hopped-up mind.
3. Alaska's 2010 Smoked Porter - Best smoked flavor I've ever had in a beer.
I plan to continue forward with Manifest Destiny and anytime I find a new West Coast brew, I will document it.
1 comment:
I posit that 200 breweries in CA is a reason to move west. And the distinct lack of northern hemisphere winters.
Post a Comment