Last month I had the chance to travel to Salt Lake City for work. I was in town a few days for the Outdoor Retailer trade show and had a couple nights to explore the city and try some local brews. One destination I made sure to make it to was Epic Brewing. For the last year or so their beers have been all over the DC market, starting first with the Spiral Jetty IPA and turning up last fall with DC Brau on a pumpkin collaboration beer (which was sweet). So one night after the show, I walked a little over a mile from the convention center to their downtown brewery for a tasting.
It was pretty much the ideal beer tasting experience. It's a small place with coolers full of beer when you walk in with a small tasting room that doubles as a sandwich shop. All of their beers were available in taster size and full pints. I had the Spicy Sammy to eat, which was delicious, and proceded to roll through the taster list, trying any and all I hadn't had before. The Hopulent IPA and the Hop Syndrome Lager really stood out to me. For a small place, they had a wide range of beer types and all were well executed.
The retail shop was a fairly popular spot, as the door was constantly opening with locals in search of a 22 oz bottle of beer. I should back up here and point out that Epic specializes in "Big Beers", which are typically stronger beers and in Utah where draft beers are 3.2%, beers like the ones Epic makes really stand out.
All in all I can't say enough about this place. Excellent beer, excellent facility and really cool nice people working there. If you are in SLC for anything, be sure to slot an hour or two for a visit.



No comments:
Post a Comment