So the United States Constitution has been amended 27 times... Or course, the big favorite among beer and booze aficionados is the 21st, the repeal of the 18th amendment, which was prohibition. Pretty fitting name for a brewery, don't you think? Prohibition lasted for 13 years, from 1920 to 1933 when the constitution was finally ratified. 67 years later, the brewery in San Francisco was create. 67 years pass (77 currently) and we still celebrate the spirit of the 21st Amendment. I think it's a tribute to the meaning of freedom, free will and self control. We can trust ourselves with booze and that's a damn good thing.
I trusted myself with their Watermelon Wheat last summer for the first time and was not disappointed and again last night with my first "Back in Black", their black IPA. I have a fairly limited experience with the black IPA category, which is probably fairly common as it's a somewhat new creation. The aroma of hops was fantastic, glorious dark brown head and coca-cola colored body. It went down extremely smooth and at 6.8%, I felt the alcohol more than tasted it. I'm used to the malty sweet punch of a dark brew and it was somewhat of a shock when it didn't come. Subdued and smooth, but not heavily bitter like a normal IPA. I'm not entirely sure what to make of Back and Black, but I do know for sure that I like it and am ready for round two.
Learn more about 21st Amendment Brewing:
No comments:
Post a Comment