Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Historical Beer Recommendation: Teddy Roosevelt

Our 26th President was one of a kind. Teddy was an explorer, a hunter, a writer, a cowboy, a rough rider, a police commissioner and much more. If somehow, someway, I had the opportunity to recommend a modern beer to Teddy, I would certainly put a lot of time and energy into selecting the proper beer.

Teddy was born in New York city, do I find a beer that would have been made close to his home state? He traveled the world over, spending years in Europe as a child and years in Africa after his presidency, so do I look for a beer that reflects his globetrotting? No, I think I would go for something that appeals both to his youthful days as a cowboy in the Dakota’s and his passionate return to politics later in life.

I think I would recommend for Teddy a Moose Drool, by Big Sky brewing in MT. This is a beer that is ubiquitous in the Dakota’s and would remind him of his wild days out west. It’s also reference his famous Bull Moose party, which he once took a bullet for and quickly remarked, “It takes more than a bullet to kill a Bull Moose”. Damn right it does.



No comments: