Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Jai Alai

Jai Alai IPA by Cigar City brewing is one unique and impressive beer. It's a hoppy, but strongly malty beer with an ABV of 7.5%, which puts it on the high end of the IPA spectrum. In terms of the flavor, there is a lot going on when you take a sip (6 different hops are used). There is a citrusy (grapefruit-ish) taste up front but a real caramel finish to the beer. Not as bitter as most IPA's, the beer has a thickness and almost honey-like feeling to it.

Cigar City is brewed in Tampa, FL and doesn't currently distribute to the DC metro. Pizza Paradiso has been stocking their 22oz bottles more frequently, but that's a hefty $25 per bottle (rough for something you may not like). Luckily, I've been traveling to NYC fairly regularly and the Bowery Whole Foods beer shop is loaded. On my last trip I packed my suitcase with a bottle of Bolita Brown and Improvisacion. The Improv was excellent, and Bolita is on deck with the rest of my stash.

It's always great to find a new brewery making amazing stuff to get excited about. Cigar City is one of the best I've discovered in a long while and I can't wait to taste more.

No comments: