Pages

Monday, August 2, 2010

Biere de garde

According to wikipedia, Biere de garde means "Keeping Beer" in French. To be brewed in Winter or spring so to avoid issues with yeast during the summer. Farmhouse-style using wild yeast, bottled conditioned and brewed it improve with age.

I've had a number of the style, but this was my first by Schlafly out of MO, and this was a particularity delicious bottle. It wasn't overly dry like some I've had, just the perfect amount of fruit and tartness. Sweet aroma and gorgeous copper color and peached-shaded foamy head.

Schlafly is new to the DC area and I will certainly make it a point to hunt down more of their offerings. In the meantime, I'll certainly pick up a bottle or two to age for the winter months. Not sure if I'll be going to St. Louis anytime soon, but a visit to their bottle works and brewpub would be excellent:


No comments: