One of the more memorable places we stopped at in Southwest Virgina was Chateau Morrisette. I'm not typically a wine drinker, so I must admit I was unfamiliar with their wines, but they were ideally located for us on the Blue Ridge in a great little town called Floyd. Turns out they are a pretty big deal in Virginia wine circles - one of the top 3 wine makers in a state that boasts over 160. I mean, how else do you get the URL of http://www.thedogs.com/ - gotta be doing something right.
It was a cold windy day when we showed up and luckily we stumbled into their gorgeous wood framed building with a beautiful bar set in front of a cozy real fire. We couldn't have planned it better. On top of that, we were essentially given a private tour of their wine making facilities. Dozen's upon dozens of stainless steal fermentors and hundreds of wooden barrels aging their wine. This place was massive. Well, I guess they didn't make the top three by making wine in a basement.
After our tour, we paid $5 for the wine tasting. We were the only people tasting and they had several extra bottles opened from earlier in the day...so we tried just about everything they made. Everything I tasted was excellent. But again, I normally drink beer. We left with a box of wine that we've since shared. Another really fun time with wine. It got me excited to explore the vineyards a little closer to home. Leesburg, here I come...
No comments:
Post a Comment